Felted Recipe Box
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 7 and up
Make this useful gift from a recycled envelope box. Your mom can store all of her favorite recipe cards neatly in this pretty container. If she’s a real recipe hound, make this project from a tissue box or even a shoe box!
What you'll need:
- 2 sheets purple felt
- 1 sheet dark purple felt
- White craft glue
- Glue stick
- Empty envelope box or other cardboard box
- Greeting card or clip art printed on card stock
How to make it:
- Trim top flaps off of cardboard box.
- Cover box, inside and out, with purple felt. Use the glue stick for most of the application, secure seams and ends with white craft glue.
- From the dark purple felt, cut 4 long strips about 1” wide.
- Trim sides of each dark purple strip to add curves, or you can cut with decorative scissors to give them a scalloped look.
- Glue strips onto each corner to cover any seams.
- Cut out a pretty picture from an old greeting card or choose a piece of clip art and print it on card stock. Glue the picture to the front of the box.
- Cut out small hearts from the greeting card and glue them onto the front of the box for further decoration.
- To minimize visible seems, start gluing your felt from the inside bottom of the box and work your way out toward the back of the box. Repeat this process for the front as well.
- You can find plenty of free clip art on Kaboose and on the internet by doing a search on “food clip art” or “recipe clip art”. Choose whatever phrase fits your needs. Check the sites rules on using clip art, though most allow you to use it for personal purposes.
- Try our cute printable recipe cards to include with your new holder!