Festively Filled Valentine's Day Hearts
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 3 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Create these fun valentines for your friends and family with these festive V-Day hearts.
What you'll need:
- Tissue paper (assorted colors)
- A small box of chocolates with red plastic wrap
- Clear self-adhesive self liner paper such as Con-Tact paper (at least two sheets)
- Red ribbon or string
- Glue (optional)
How to make it:
- This project is especially fun because it begins with a box of Valentine's Day chocolates. Open the box and save the colored plastic wrapping.
- Take the wrapping, along with your colored tissue paper, and rip it into various sized pieces. (Leave the edges rough.)
- Remove the backing from the first sheet of contact paper and lay it down sticky side up.
- Place the pieces of torn paper and plastic wrap on the sticky surface. Cover the entire area leaving a one-inch border around the edges.
- Sprinkle with glitter.
- Remove the backing from the second sheet of contact paper and place the sheet on top of the other sticky side face down. Press down over the entire area sealing the two sheets together. You will now have a large sheet of color.
- Using your scissors cut out some hearts.
- Poke a hole at the top of each one so you can feed the ribbon through.
- You can tie a bow or leave enough ribbon to hang up your valentine.
- Hold the hearts up to a window or lamp to see how the light shines through and enjoy!
- You can fill these hearts with whatever decorations you like, including dried flowers, feathers, and photographs.
- Colored plastic wrap will make for a beautiful stained glass effect.
- If you like, you can glue the rest of the ripped paper to the empty box, and make a gift box for your hearts. When you're done, celebrate by eating the chocolates!
- If you do not have any chocolate box wrapping (or it is not red), use red celeophane, which can be found at your local craft or party store.