Children's Sun Hat Craft for Girls
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 7 and up
Your little girl will love making and wearing this fun-in-the-sun hat. And you’ll be happy that she’s protected from the sun!
What you'll need:
- White canvas sun hat
- Round craft jewels in various colors
- GemTac glue or permanent fabric glue
- Yellow and orange fabric paint or acrylic paint mixed with textile medium
- Waxed paper
- Flower-shaped foam stamps
How to make it:
- Before painting, place waxed paper under the part of the hat that will be stamped to avoid paint seepage on the other side.
- Paint foam flower stamp with yellow paint and press onto front of hat. Repeat with a smaller flower stamp and orange paint (see photo).
- When paint is dry, glue a craft jewel in the center of each flower.
- Glue craft jewels all the way around the hat. Use a wave pattern to add a little whimsy and keep it from being too abstract.
- Let hat dry completely before wearing.
- Check your local drug store, discount department store and even the craft supply store for canvas sun hats.
- If you don’t have fabric paint, you can easily convert acrylic paint by adding an equal amount of textile medium, available in the craft paint aisle.
- Be sure to use a glue specifically made for permanently adhering items to fabric. Hot glue and white craft glue will not hold the jewels on for long.
- Use other stamp designs and colors for boys.