Foam Sun Decoration
By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 5 and up
This bright foam sun decoration will look like it's floating in the sky when suspended from your bedroom ceiling.
What you'll need:
- 3" foam ball
- Yellow craft paint
- 1 each yellow, gold, and orange chenille stems
- White craft glue
- Fishing line
How to make it:
- Place the foam ball onto something that can keep it stationary. We used a lid from a plastic milk jug. (See photo.)
- Paint the ball with a generous amount of yellow paint and let dry. (See photo.)
- Cut the chenille stems into 3" pieces and insert into the ball, alternating colors as you go, about ½ an inch apart. Insert the yellow and orange stems a little deeper than the gold so that the gold appear as longer sunrays. (See photo.)
- When finished, remove one of the gold stems and tie a piece of fishing line around the stem. (See photo.)
- Place a dot of glue into the hole that you removed the stem from then insert the gold chenille stem back into the hole.
- Suspend the sun from the ceiling by using a thumbtack.
- Foam balls are available in craft supply stores, sometimes by the floral items.
- An empty egg carton works great as a work stand.
- You can buy chenille stems in single color packages or in multi color packs.