4th of July Salt Dough Pins
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 5 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Show your love for the USA by making one of these fun and patriotic pins to wear on your shirt or hat.
What you'll need:
- ½ cup salt
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup water
- Acrylic paint: red, white and blue
- Pin backs
- White craft glue
- Small cookie cutters: heart, star, number 4
- Acrylic sealer spray
How to make it:
- Mix together the salt, flour, and water. If dough is sticky, add additional tablespoons of flour one at a time until the mixture is smooth a pliable. Be careful not to add too much or your projects will crack.
- Roll out or press dough with your hand and use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. (See photo.)
- Place shapes on cookie sheet and heat oven to 250 degrees F. (See photo.)
- Place cookie sheet in oven and bake for 1 ½ to 2 ½ hours, or until items are dry. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Paint all the shapes white and let dry. (See photo.)
- Use a small paintbrush to ad red stripes and a medium paintbrush to add solid blue to the heart and the star. You may need a second coat of blue. Let dry. (See photo.)
- Use a toothpick dipped in paint to write “JULY” down the side of the number 4 pin. Write “I love (draw a heart share) USA) on the heart pin. Use the handle end of a paintbrush dipped in paint to add polka dots onto the number 4 and the top of the star. (See photos 1, 2.)
- Let them all dry and have an adult spray them with acrylic sealer.
- Turn pins over and glue on pin backs. Use a generous amount of glue and let them dry completely before wearing.
- Salt dough can be kept in a covered container for a couple of days.
- It is not necessary to dry out salt dough in the oven, you can air dry it, but the oven is faster.
- Personalize a pin by writing your name instead of a suggested phrase.