Fridge Family Portrait
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 7 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
This adorable craft can be made from an old calendar fridge magnet, or simply get a magnet sheet from the craft store.
What you'll need:
- Outdated calendar fridge magnet or magnet sheet
- Colored pencils
- White and brown construction paper
- Craft knife
- White craft glue
- Scrap of additional construction paper, any color
How to make it:
- Draw faces of family members on a piece of white construction paper. (See photo.)
- Trace around the calendar magnet onto the brown construction paper and cut out around the traced line. (See photo.)
- Poke scissors into the center of the brown paper you just cut out, cut out the center of the paper to create a frame. (See photo.)
- Glue the frame to the calendar magnet.
- Use a craft knife (parents may need to do this step) to cut out the center of the magnet using the frame as the guide.
- Use scissors to trim around the family faces (squared, don’t completed cut around them just yet) and glue them to the remaining calendar magnet that you just removed from the center of the frame. (See photo.)
- Use scissors to cut out individual squares, and then trim around the faces. (See photos 1, 2.)
- Draw a family name sign (Jones Family, Smith Family, etc) on a piece of construction paper, any color, and trim with scissors. Glue to the upper left corner of the frame.
- Put the frame on the fridge and place the family face magnets inside the frame. (See photo.)
- This is a great way to recycle calendar magnets that are out of date. However, if you don’t have one, you can purchase magnet sheets at your local craft supply store.
- Make a larger frame and make the family members with full bodies, include names if you like!
- Crayons can also be used, but colored pencils will have better coverage and won’t smear the way that crayons can.