Funny Monster Costume
By: Mia Cronan
Age: 3 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Your child will get more giggles than screams with this silly monster costume -- and it's fun to make using things your family probably already has lying around the house!
What you'll need:
- Black sweatpants
- Black sweatshirt
- Black or dark turtleneck
- Black gloves
- White felt, approximately 12’ x 18’
- Dark paint pen
- Black socks and shoes
- Fuzzy wig
- Face paints or make-up
How to make it:
- Lay the white felt flat on a table. Trace a piece that is straight across the top and rounded along the bottom, to form a monster tummy. Cut the piece from the felt and flip it right side up. The piece should be approximately 12 inches wide and 18 inches long. Using your dark paint pen, draw “scales” across the felt, row after row, to create a scaled belly (see image).
- Lay the sweatshirt on a flat surface. Using your hot glue gun, attach the felt belly to the front of the sweatshirt, with the flat part at the neckline and the rounded part at the bottom.
- Get your child dressed in the turtleneck, black sweat suit, socks, and shoes (see image).
- Place the wig on the child's head, stuffing the hair into the wig so it can’t be seen.
- Use the face paints or make-up to create scary scars and spots on your child's face (see image). Have fun and be creative!
- If you would prefer not to alter the black sweatshirt permanently with the white felt, you can baste or stitch the felt onto the sweatshirt for easy removal later.
- If you do not have a fuzzy wig, use a headband with goofy antennas, often found at a craft store or costume shop.
- Using white make up and black eyeliner, you could draw scales on your face to match your tummy instead of scars and spots.
Mia Cronan is a craft freelancer and mother of five based in Ohio.