Future President Pin
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 7 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Your child will be proud to wear this future president pin stating that they too can be the President of the United States!
What you'll need:
- ½ sheet each red, white and blue felt
- Wallet-sized photo of child
- Heavy cardboard or juice can lid
- White craft glue
- Pin back
- ½ sheet white construction paper
- Black marker
How to make it:
- Use a drinking cup or other round object to trace a circle onto the cardboard (if not using a juice can lid). (See image.) Cut the circle from the cardboard. (See image.)
- Glue the cardboard circle or juice can lid to the red felt. (See image.) Use scissors to cut around the circle, leaving a ½” wide border.
- Cover the exposed side of the circle with white glue and press it down onto the white felt. (See image.) Use scissors to cut around the circle, leaving the circle completely covered with white felt. (See image.)
- Cut the photo into a small circle.
- Glue the photo to the blue felt and cut around the photo leaving a ½” border. (See image.)
- Glue the felt backed photo to the center of the white felt circle.
- Print the pattern to size and cut it out. Now trace the cutout onto the remaining piece of the paper you just printed, giving you two pattern pieces to work with. Cut one of the patterns a ¼” smaller all the way around than the other one. Do this by simply trimming off 1/4” from all sides.
- Take the larger of the two patterns and use it to cut out the ribbon tail from the blue felt.
- On the smaller pattern, write the words “future president” down the tails, future on one side and president on the other. Be sure to start the words about an inch or so from the top, leaving enough room to glue the photo circle in place.
- Glue the white paper ribbon tail with the words on it to the top of the blue felt ribbon tail. (See image.) Since you trimmed this paper ribbon tail ¼” smaller you should now have a blue felt border around your paper ribbon tail.
- Glue the photo circle to the top of the ribbon tail. (See image.)
- Turn the entire thing over and use a generous amount of white craft glue to attach the pin back. (See image.) Allow to dry for several hours.
- Discuss the requirements for becoming President and use this as a fun lesson tool.
- Felt is inexpensive and can be used for literally hundreds of projects. Be sure to stock up each time you visit the craft supply store.
- For a fun patriotic magnet, simple leave off the ribbon tail and pin back and glue a magnet to the back of the photo circle.