By: Dorothy LaFara, images by Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 4 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
An ideal wearable craft project for all little glamour girls. Turn your plain gloves into pretty mittens, complete with beautiful painted fingernails and dazzling rings. This craft is perfect for the fall and winter seasons—don't forget to share the glitz by making one as a gift for your friend.
Check out our selection of other great winter and cold weather crafts.
What you'll need:
- White stretchy winter gloves
- Tulip paint - 1 gold glitter, 1 pink or red (see "Tips" for palette ideas)
- Faceted craft jewels
- Small amount of plastic wrap
How to make it:
- Wash and dry gloves without fabric softener.
- Put a small piece of plastic wrap into each fingertip and at the base of each ring finger to prevent any paint from soaking through.
- Squirt pink or red paint onto a palette. With brush, paint on "fingernails." Tip: Make sure you paint the thumbnail on the side of the thumb hole (see "Tips").
- Using gold glitter paint, squirt out a pebble-sized bead onto the base of each ring finger. Place your choice of jewel gently into the center of the bead until gold is seen around the edges. Squirt a line of gold paint on each side of the jewel to make it look like a ring. In this step, less is better. If you use too much paint, the paint will overflow off the side of the glove. If you don’t use enough, you can touch it up by outlining the gem with your gold paint.
- Allow the paint to dry overnight, do not remove the plastic wrap until paint is completely dry.
- Wait 24 hours before wearing and 72 hours before washing.
Throw-away paint palettes. Paper or plastic disposable plates and empty, clean meat trays make great paint palettes.
The perfect thumb.Have your child try the glove on first, mark the thumb nail with a marker using a light touch. Be sure to make only a guideline as you don’t want the marker to be difficult to cover with paint.