Parental supervision is recommended
These fun Gold Medals are a great way to end children's sporting events or sports-themed parties. Your child's eyes will sparkle as bright as their medal.
What you'll need:
- 2" flat round paper mache discs
- Gray Gesso (or any color)
- Gold spray paint
- Large star punch
- Posterboard, cardboard, cardstock (whatever can be punched)
- Glue (school or tacky)
- 1/2" or wider Ribbon (inexpensive)
- Newspaper or plastic bags to cover work area
How to make it:
- Paint the paper mache with Gesso and let dry. (Note: Gesso primes the surface and doesn't allow the paint to soak in). Let dry.
- Punch 2-3 stars out of the stiff paper. Glue together and adhere to the middle of one side of the medal. Let dry.
- Spray paint both sides of medal, allowing to dry before painting other side. Be sure to spray in well ventilated area.
- Measure the ribbon to fit around the child's neck and to hang down a bit. Cut ribbon.
- Glue the two ends to the back of the medal. Let dry.
- Present the child(ren) with the medal after the Field Day or Olympic Event.
One parent found that using Gesso gives a protective coating on the paper-mache. You do not have to apply as much paint as the Gesso keeps the paint from soaking in. It also prevented the paint cracking.