What you'll need:
- Cellophane or piece of plastic
- Grass seed, rye seed or wheat seed
- Basket to grow it in
- Clean spray bottle
- A sunny window
How to make it:
- Cut your cellophane or plastic large enough to line the basket plus stick out over the top edge by about one inch. If you use colored cellophane, it adds a nice decoration to the edges of the basket. Make sure you use one piece to prevent leaking.
- Fill with vermiculite. Vermiculite is much lighter than soil, and is available at gardening departments. It also stays moist easily.
- Cover the top with the seed, sprinkle a 1/4 inch layer of vermiculite over the seed, and water it with the spray bottle. Mist the seed every day.
- In about 10 days you will have a good covering of grass, so start your grass 10-12 days before Easter.