Hairy Potato Head
Parental supervision is recommended
Turn old panty hose into a Hairy Potato Head with this craft. Kids will love to watch his grassy hair grow, until it's time for a trim!
What you'll need:
- Panty hose, cut into 1 foot "tubes"
- Grass seed
- Small rubber bands
- Wiggle eyes
- Black fabric paint
- Red fabric paint
- Plastic bowl
- Pipe cleaners
- Hot glue gun
How to make it:
- Take panty hose and cut into 12" or longer tubes. At one end tie a small knot, and turn inside out.
- Take a small handful of grass seed and shake it to the bottom where the knot is.
- Then stuff quantities of sawdust, packing the "head" as you go. When the "head" is the size that you want it to be, take a small rubber band and tie up the neck, or tightly tie the panty hose where the neck would be.
- Shape the "head" with your hands and pull out a section for the nose. Tie the nose with small rubber band and shape the nose the way you want it to be shaped. Pull a section out where his ear should go, and place another rubber band there, place another rubber band on the opposite side for the other ear.
- Hot glue wiggle eyes where his eyes should be. Use fabric paint to paint the features. Use red for the mouth, black for eye lashes, and you can draw on moustaches, glasses, eyebrows etc. You can use pipe cleaners for glasses.
- When the fabric paint has dried, set "Hairy" in a plastic bowl filled with water, making sure he is saturated for a day. Then "stand" him up in the bowl, or glass, and within a few weeks, he will have a head of hair. Make sure the tail of the panty hose acts as a "wick" into the water, so that the water in drawn up into the head. You can also trim "Hairy's" hair as it grows.