By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 3 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Handprint crafts make wonderful keepsakes! This adorable handprint rainbow is fun to make and make a great gift to send to grandparents on St. Patrick's Day.
Be sure to visit our main St. Patrick's Day index for more lucky fun including more crafts, printables and recipes. As well, discover even more fun St. Patrick's Day activites from our sister site, Amazing Moms! Take our quiz, What's Your St. Patrick's Day IQ?, to test your knowledge on all things Irish!
What you'll need:
- 1 sheet light blue construction paper
- Acrylic craft paint: red, orange, purple, blue, yellow, green and white
How to make it:
- Place construction paper on work surface in front of child.
- Have child curve their hand and paint (start with red) the side of the hand along the pinky and down to the heel.
- Gently press side of painted hand onto the construction paper to form half of the first rainbow ray. (See photo.)
- Repeat step 2 and 3 with red paint on the other hand to form the other half of the rainbow ray. (See photo.)
- Repeat these steps with all the colors of the rainbow, washing hands in between each color. Starting from the top of the rainbow and working downward, the order is: Red
Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple (See photo.)
- When rainbow is complete, have child make a fist, then paint the side of the fist generously with white paint. Press onto bottom of the rainbow to form the clouds. (See photo.) Repeat across paper under the rainbow until entire rainbow is lined with clouds. (See photo.)
- Allow to dry completely.
- This step is optional, but if you are sending this as a gift, use a marker to write a message across the top!
- Be sure to date the back of the picture as handprint crafts are great keepsakes.
- Construction paper is perfect for impromptu projects, be sure to have some on hand at all times.
- If you don’t have acrylic paints, poster paints will work fine as well.