By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 7 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Show your love this Valentine's Day with this heart box. Put a few piece of chocolate treasure inside for a surprise!
What you'll need:
- Small heart-shaped box
- Acrylic craft paint
- Clear acrylic spray sealer
- Acrylic gesso (optional material) (recommended: Liquitex Basics Gesso)
Decorative Optional Items
- Craft jewels
- Silk flowers
How to make it:
- Paint your box with a coat of the acrylic gesso. This is a craft medium and will give you a nice coat of base to paint in. (See image.) This step is optional, however if you choose not to use the gesso you will need more than one coat of paint. (See image.)
- When gesso is dry, paint box with whatever color you like and set aside to dry. (See image.)
- Decorate the box with whatever optional items you choose.
- Wait until the boxes are dry, then give them to friends!
- Polka dots – use the handle end of a paintbrush to add polka dots to your box (See image.)
- Stripes – use a thin paintbrush to paint on stripes
- Sponge – use a household sponge dipped in paint to add texture (See image.)
- Bows – tie a thin piece of ribbon into a bow and decorate the lid with it
- Tie – tie a longer piece of ribbon around the entire box
- Craft jewels – glue small craft jewels around the lid or on top of the lid
- Silk flowers – use tiny silk flowers to decorate the outer edge of the lid
- You can purchase a package of 4 small heart boxes for about a dollar.
- You can use white craft paint in place of gesso as a medium.
- Save little items such as buttons, tiny silk flowers, rick rack and other items in plastic storage containers to be used in projects.