Homemade Gift Bags
Parental supervision is recommended
Kids can personalize gifts with these Homemade Gift Bags made from wrapping paper--perfect for gifts of all sizes and for all seasons.
What you'll need:
- Empty boxes
- Wrapping paper in holiday or everyday designs
- Scotch Tape
- Hole punch
- Smooth or textured (rope) cording
- Double stick tape
How to make it:
- First locate a box that will be the correct size for your gift.
- Cut your wrapping paper the height you would like your bag to be, plus 3 inches for the top, and enough at the bottom to wrap the bottom of the box. (Similar to wrapping a box)
- Fold down the top of the paper over 3 inches to the inside. Crease.
- Wrap around the box and turn the outside edge over about 1/2" and use double stick tape to seal.
- Fold in the ends of the bag over the box as you would if wrapping a present. Seal using the double stick tape.
- Slide the bag off the box. Hole punch 2 holes in opposite sides of the bag about an inch from the top.
- Cut a piece of cording and put one end through a hole to the inside of the bag. Knot. Put the other end of the cording through the other hole on the same side of the bag. Knot. (Note: The length depends on whether you add a lot of tall tissue paper or if you want the cording to be shorter.)
- Repeat on other side of the bag.
- Cut a piece of cardboard to fit snugly in the bottom of the bag. This gives the gift bag some stability.
- Add tissue paper and the gift!
You can make these bags any size that you may need. Also wallpaper (unused) may be used and it is very sturdy and can make very nice looking bags.