Parental supervision is recommended
Two colors of fimo clay will lead to hours of fun for your kids as they create beautiful jewelry with their homemade Jellyroll Beads.
What you'll need:
- 2 colors (1/2 a block each) of Fimo or Sculpey clay (Sculpey is a little softer and easier to work with so it may be easier)
- rolling pin (Warning! This clay is made with chemicals, so don't use the rolling pin for both making beads and baking. It is very dangerous if you do.)
- Exacto knife (for cutting up the log)
- toothpick or any small tool to make holes in the beads with
How to make it:
- Roll out the 1/2 clay blocks into flat squares, and put one on top of the other.
- Roll the now double-layered square into a jellyroll.
- Cut 1/8" thick slices of the log. Do it very slowly or else the jellyroll will come out blurry.
- Put holes through the beads.
- Put the beads on a foil-covered pan and in the oven at 245 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Get some jewelry findings and create wonderful jewelry!!
These beads can be made from Fimo, Sculpey, or any other colored oven bake clay. You can use them for many things, including jewelry such as earrings and necklaces.
This technique is the first step in learning how to make millie-fiori beads. If you want to get into more advanced techniques such as flowers and other pictures, check your local bookstore or craft store (preferably craft store) and find some good books on bead making.