King for a Day Crown
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 4 and up
Celebrate Father's Day by making your dad feel like royalty! Your father can be a king for the day with this easy, fun project.
For more great gifts for Dad, visit our Father's Day Crafts page.
What you'll need:
- Cardboard or two pieces of 8 ½" x 11" heavy cardstock
- Aluminum foil
- White craft glue
- Construction paper in various colors
- Glitter glue
- Foam sticker letters
How to make it:
- Cut a strip the length of the newspaper about one inch wide. Use this to measure the circumference (distance around) your dad's head. (If you want the crown to be a surprise, take the newspaper strip and place it around the inside of one of dad's hats. Keep one end still with your thumb and cover the band part inside all the way around.) Tear off any excess newspaper. This is how long your crown will need to be to fit your dad.
- Line up cardboard pieces or cardstock on the table and use your newspaper strip to determine how much you need. If necessary, tape cardboard or cardstock together or trim off excess.
- From the original newspaper, cut another strip the length of the newspaper, this time about 5 inches wide. You should now have a long rectangle. Starting at one end of the rectangle, fold it in half, then fold in half again, then again, until you have a piece approximately 2 inches wide. At the top of the short end, cut a "V" shape from one corner to the other. When you open the newspaper strip you will have a crown pattern.
- Trace your crown pattern onto the cardboard or cardstock and cut out.
- Carefully cover the crown with aluminum foil.
- Cut shapes from construction paper for jewels and glue them to your crown. Use glitter glue to decorate the edge of the crown points.
- Use foam alphabet stickers to spell out "King Dad" and glue them to the front of the crown.
- Once the glitter glue has dried completely, get a grown-up to help you staple the crown together. Cover the pointy sides of the staples with tape so that they don't pull your dad's hair, or staple so that the pointy sides are on the outside of the crown.
- Present this crown to your dad at breakfast on Father's Day—and make sure to take a picture!
- You can purchase foam letter stickers at any discount department store in the craft aisle or at a craft supply store.
- Instead of construction paper, you can make this crown even fancier by using colorful craft jewels instead.
- You can use the cardboard from a cereal box, rather than cardstock. You will need to carefully unfold the cereal box and lay it out flat.