Knight Costume with Sword and Shield
Parental supervision is recommended
This knight costume takes kids back to the time of King Arthur's court and it includes a fun sword and shield set!
What you'll need:
- Knight helmet (see below)
- Plastic or cardboard sword
- Corrugated plastic or cardboard for shield
- "Painters" paint markers (if using corrugated plastic)
- Craft paints and paintbrush (if using cardboard)
- Markers, optional (if using cardboard)
- Scissors (very sharp for corrugated plastic or regular scissors for cardboard)
- Velcro straps (used for tying up electrical cords)
- Gray sweat suit
How to make it:
- Create the Knight's helmet.
- If you wish to create a sword, cut corrugated cardboard out in the shape of a long sword with the handle. Be sure to round off the end.
- Paint the sword. Let dry.
- Cut a shield out of corrugated plastic or corrugated cardboard. If you are using corrugated plastic, make sure there are not any sharp edges or points.
- If using corrugated plastic, let the child decorate with paint markers. If using corrugated cardboard, the child can use regular markers, paint markers, or craft paint. Let dry.
- Cut two horizontal slits in the middle of the shield about one inch long above and below where the child would like the shield to sit on their wrist.
- Run the Velcro strap through the shield and to the back to fasten around their wrist. Note: The child may wish to have two straps to hold shield steady on their arm.
- Have the child wear gray sweat suit, and add their helmet, sword and shield.
- Protect thy kingdom!
Corrugated plastic is made by several manufacturers. It is known as Stratocore or Coreplast, along with other names. Check for 24"x18" sheets at your local Hobby Lobby. If you purchase it from a signage store it can be cheaper as long as you make several projects out of it.