Love Bug Pin
By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 3 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
These love bugs don't bite! This super simple plaster of paris craft turns into an adorable pin for kids of all ages to make as holiday gifts!
What you'll need:
- Plastic spoon
- Plaster of paris
- Small wiggle eyes
- Paint (assorted colors)
- Pin back
- Clear acrylic spray or glaze
- White craft glue
How to make it:
- You will need one plastic spoon and pin back per pin.
- Lay out the plastic spoons on the newspaper.
- Mix the plaster of paris in a small bowl per instructions on the container. (See image.)
- Place the plaster into the well of the spoons and level with a butter knife. (See image.) Let them stand for a minute or two, then gently press/place pin back (or magnet) into the plaster. Let dry completely (a minimum of 30 minutes, longer is better). (See image.)
- Pop plaster out of spoons by pressing the outer edges of the spoon. With butter knife, smooth the edges of the form. Place on to the newspaper.
- Paint bugs however you like and let dry.
- Glue wiggle eyes on to your bug, let dry.
- Spray with acrylic sealer or glaze.
- Allow smaller children to paint with cotton swabs while older children use paintbrushes.
- Pin to a silk flower to give as a gift.
- Plaster of paris is available at your local craft supply store and makes a LOT of projects!