Love Bug Valentine’s Day Card
By: Claudine Casault
Age: 4 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Send this little love bug to someone you care about on Valentine's Day. This little critter is eager to share its warm and happy feelings.
Make sure to visit our main Valentine's Day page for even more fun including additonal handmade Valentine's Day cards, Valentine's Day crafts, recipes, printables, and more. Also check out our slideshow of our favorite Valentine's cards.
What you'll need:
- Wool felt red and green
- Embroidery thread (recommended: black and red)
- Thin black marker
- Design cardstock
- 1/8" x 4" ribbon
- Unfinished wooden angel shape
- Glue gun
- Red crayon
- Small black beads
- Fabric scissors
How to make it:
Step 1: Ladybug /Card Pattern (Note: Resize the patterns to the correct proportions, determined by the size of your wooden angel.)
- Cut out ladybug body pattern with green wool felt.
- Cut out ladybug wings and hat pattern with red wool felt.
- Cut out heart card pattern with design cardstock. (Fold cardstock in half and match up the fold line before cutting.)
Step 2: Lady Bug
- Stitch red felt wings to the top of the green wool felt cutout. Use red embroidery thread leaving 2"of thread at each end.
- Wrap green felt around wooden angel body, pull thread ends at top and tie them together with a knot.
- Stitch green felt together using red embroidery thread to create a coat around body.
- Stitch hat together with red embroidery thread.
- Sew on 2 antenaes using black embroidery thread and knot ends. If your thread does not stick up, spread on watered down glue with fingers and allow to dry standing straight.
- Using thread and embroidery thread, stitch small black beads on wings of ladybug (see photo for back of card).
Step 3: Small Heart Card
- Fold heart card pattern in half at fold line.
- Glue heart card on front of ladybug.
- Tie a small bow with 1/8" ribbon and glue the bow on top of heart.
- Dot 2 eyes on face with thin black marker.
- Rub a little color on cheeks of ladybug with crayon or chalk.
- You can replace wool felt with paint.
- A thread and needle can be very tricky for little hands. Have an adult do the sewing, or use a fabric glue as substitute for sewing.
Claudine Casault is a craft developer living in Ontario, Canada.
• Fishy Fish Valentine's Day Card
• Heart Lollipop Valentine's Day Card
• Dragonfly Valentine's Day Card
• Butterfly Kisses Valentine Card
• Peacock Valentine’s Day Card
• Favorite Valentine's Day Cards
• Homemade Valentine's Cards
• Valentine's Day
• Valentine's Day Crafts
• Valentine's Recipes
• Valentine's Romance
• Valentine’s Coloring Pages