Love Bugs Hat
Parental supervision is recommended
Wiggle your way into someone's heart with this easy felt and chenille love bugs hat craft. Kids will look adorable wearing this on Valentine's Day.
What you'll need:
- Red felt
- Black chenille stems
- Red chenille stems
- Wire cutters
- Needle nose pliers
- 10 mm wiggle eyes
- Hot glue gun
- White poster board
- Stapler, tape, or glue (to fasten hat together)
How to make it:
- Cut out four hearts (2 1/2" tall x 3" wide) out of red felt.
- Cut out two hearts (1" tall x 1 1/2" wide) out of red felt.
- Cut a strip of poster board to fit around a child's head and about two inches wide.
- Determine where the sides of a child's head is by trying the band on. Mark with a pen.
- Cut red chenille and black chenille stems in half using the wire cutters.
- Glue the stems on the outside of the poster board where marked.
- Glue a small heart over each of the chenille stems that are attached to the poster board. (See photo)
- Glue a large red heart at the other end of the chenille stem.
- Bend the black chenille stems in a "V" shape. Bend the ends over twice using the needle nose pliers to create the feet for one piece, and the antenna for another piece. (Note: This also hides the sharp end.)
- Add wiggle eyes using glue to the "face" of the love bug.
- Let the children decorate using lace, stickers, markers, and crayons.
- Tape, glue or staple the hat to fit the child. (Paper clips also work.)
The love bugs wiggle when the child moves their head. You can make the hat up ahead of time if the children don't have much time to create the hat and children can decorate their hat with stickers, markers or crayons.
You can use a cookie cutter to obtain a heart shape for the body of the love bugs. You can use tacky glue, but it will need to set up overnight before wearing.