By: Tamison Rose as told to Laura Young
Age: 3 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
This Halloween kids can get dressed up as one of their favorite candy treats with this homemade M&Ms costume.
Discover more easy ideas for outfits -- from spooky to sweet -- in our homemade Halloween costume gallery.
What you'll need:
- M&M's package
- Yellow canvas fabric (amount depends on size of the child, see below)
- Matching gold felt
- Brown and white felt fabric
- Permanent black marker
- Heavy weight sew-on or fusible lining
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Fabric glue and hot glue
- Pattern for lettering
How to make it:
- Measure from child's shoulders to knee to obtain length of material needed. Take that number and add about 1 inch for seam allowances. To get the fabric width, measure the width of the shoulders on one of your child's shirts. Add about 6" to that number.
- On a folded piece of medium weight yellow cotton fabric, mark the dimensions of the rectangle.
- Find the middle of the width and then draw a slight arch about 9" long along the left side of the fabric. This will be the neck hole. (See photo.)
- Cut the pattern so you have two identical pieces. Example - we ended up with two pieces of fabric that were 25" high x 18 ½" wide.
- Pin the fabric together down the sides with a ½" seam, leaving a 7" arm holes on both sides. NOTE: Start the armholes 2 to 3" down from the neck. (See photo.)
- Sew the side seams and the seams up to the neck hole.
- To keep the costume stiff along the bottom front edge, stitch or iron a 3" high piece of lining material to run along the inside of the front yellow fabric. (See photo.)
- Flip the costume inside out so the "good" side is now showing and the seams are hidden inside.
- Using the patterns, cut out two "m"s, one "&" and one "s" on brown felt. Cut a small ¾" x ½" rectangle for the apostrophe.
- Using the real M&M's package as a reference, lay out the letters on the white fabric so they spell out the name of the candy and then draw a ½" outline around them. Then cut out the white fabric. (See photo.)
- Glue the white felt down onto the yellow fabric so it is kitty-cornered from left to right. (See photo.)
- Glue the brown felt "m&m's" letters onto the white felt. (See photo.)
- Cut the gold felt into 3" strips. Hot glue the felt to the top and bottom edge of the costume, gathering it 1/4" every 1/2" as you go. When the glue is cool, cut triangles into the felt to create the serrated look on the ends of the M&M's package. (See photo.)
- When glue is dry, trace the white felt and brown letters with black indelible marker so it matches the M&M's package. Copy the writing from the package freehand onto the costume. (See photo.)
- (Optional) If you want to make your costume extra tasty, cut out a peanut shape from tan felt, write "Peanut" on it, and glue it to the yellow fabric just above the first "m." (See photo.)
- Have your kid wear patterned tights or pants with contrasting colors to add some special flair to this look.
- Choose a long-sleeved brown shirt to wear underneath the outfit.
- Girls will look cute with their hair tied into pigtails with some satin yellow ribbon.