Fun Halloween Prop and Activity for Kids
Stun everyone at your next Halloween or Harry Potter party! Kids can brew up this magic potion craft with very little effort and spellbinding results.
What you'll need:
- Cauldron (see link to craft below)
- Baking soda
- Pan or tray
How to make it:
- Create the Cauldron.
- Place the cauldron on a pan or tray. (Or you'll get potion all over the place!)
- Fill the cauldron with two tablespoons of water and stir in a tablespoon of baking soda until it dissolves.
- Measure two tablespoons of vinegar into a separate cup.
- Pour the vinegar all at once into the water/baking soda mixture and watch your potion bubble up!
WHY'D THAT HAPPEN??
The bubbles you've created are filled with carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide is a gas that forms when the vinegar (an acid) reacts with the baking soda (a base). For all you bakers out there, this is also what makes cakes and quick breads (the no-yeast kind) get all nice and fluffy.
For those of you who don't allow Halloween, potions, witches or brews, this craft recipe is still a really NEAT science experiment!