Parental supervision is recommended
Kids can make these magnetic bookmarks with friends and classmates as a keepsake or to give as a gift.
The following instructions are based on using "American Greetings Crafts! Deluxe" software. You may need to modify the directions to suit your particular software program.
What you'll need:
- Graphics program
- Cardstock paper
- Self adhesive magnets (roll or sheet)
- Scissors or paper cutter
How to make it:
- Choose BRAND NEW, STICKER, then press NEXT.
- Choose the size of labels (bookmarks) you prefer. We chose 5160 Address labels (1"x2 5/8"), then press FINISH.
- Choose ADD, then PICTURE FROM DISK, then navigate to where you saved your graphics. Click on the graphic you want to use, then press OPEN.
- Move your graphic to position it to the left side of a label. Rotate your graphic until the bottom of the graphic is in the left side of the label (see picture).
- Choose EDIT, then COPY. Choose EDIT, then PASTE. There is now a copy of the picture on top of the original one.
- Choose ARRANGE, then MIRROR LEFT to RIGHT.
- Drag the graphic to the right side of the label until the graphic is in the right side of the label. (see picture).
- Repeat these steps until you have made as many bookmarks as you wish. Keep in mind, these make nice gifts for your friends, classmates (hand out on first day of school!), teachers or parents! It is just as easy to make 3 as it is 20!
- Print out your bookmarks on cardstock paper.
- Cut out the bookmarks using scissors or paper cutter.
- Fold bookmark in half, bringing small ends together.
- Cut two pieces of magnet to fit inside lower short edge of bookmark. Make sure that you have the two pieces that attract, not repel!
- Remove one piece of paper from the back of one magnet and stick to the inside end of the bookmark.
- Leaving the magnets stuck (attracted) together, peel the back off the other magnet and then press all layers (bookmark, magnet, magnet, bookmark) together. This will assure that the magnets are placed in the correct place.
- Enjoy your bookmarks!
You can also use rubber stamps to stamp out an image on cardstock paper cut to size. Use markers to color in the image as pencil crayons and crayons may smudge your book.