By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 5 and up
Make your own shakable maracas to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! Use your imagination to create colorful and festive maracas to enjoy with your friends.
What you'll need:
- 2 Styrofoam or paper cups
- Tan, red and white acrylic paint
- Decorative accents such as pom-poms and buttons
- Hot glue gun
- Dried beans
How to make it:
- Paint cups with tan paint and let dry.
- Decorate cups by painting on swirling or curvy lines. We used red paint for ours. You can also paint zig-zags. We used white for ours. Paint the bottom of each cup red.
- Place a handful of dried beans into one of the cups.
- Put a layer of hot glue onto the rim of the cup with the beans in it before quickly placing the other cup on top of it, lining up the rims of both cups. Allow to dry completely.
- Finish any decorating you would like, such as adding pom-poms around the center (to hide the glue line). We also used mini pom-poms to dot the peaks of the zig-zags.
- Once your glue is completely dry, shake your maraca!
- Smaller children may enjoy using stickers instead of trying to manipulate pom-poms and buttons. Older kids may like to get even more intricate by painting on more detailed and thinner lines.
- If you don't have any dried beans, use a few pennies instead.
- Our color suggestions are just that, suggestions. Use whatever colors you like to make this project your own!