Margarine Tub Boat
By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 7 and up
This fun recycling craft makes an adorable decoration for a child's room or even a nursery.
What you'll need:
- 1 plastic margarine tub with lid
- Construction paper: light blue, red, and white
- 12" wooden dowel (cut with scissors to make it shorter if needed)
- 2" piece of household sponge or floral foam
- White craft glue
- Fine tip black marker
- 2 zipper sandwich bags
- 1 cup rice or sand
How to make it:
- Cover the outside of the margarine tub with light blue construction paper using white craft glue. Trim where needed with scissors. (See photo.)
- Poke a hole in the center of the sponge using your finger or a pencil. Glue the sponge in the bottom of the margarine tub. Add some glue to the hole in the sponge and insert the wooden dowel. (See photo.)
- Trace around the lid onto the white construction paper and cut out. (See photo.)
- Use pencil to poke a hole in the center of the plastic lid. Glue the white construction paper circle onto the top of the lid and let dry, then poke a hole through the plastic lid and through the paper. (See photo.)
- Divide the rice evenly between the two sandwich bags. Squeeze out excess air and seal the bags. Place filled bags into the margarine tub for weight.
- Carefully insert the dowel into the hole in the lid and slide the lid down and snap in place. (See photo.)
- Use the pattern to cut the sails from white construction paper. You will need two sets. Cut a small strip of red paper to fit in between each sail, glue in place and repeat on the other side. (See photo.)
- Use the pattern to cut out a white life preserver from the white paper. Cut the alternating pieces from red. Glue the red pieces onto the circle, and then use scissors to trim evenly and cut out the center circle. Use a fine tip black marker to write "SS" at the top of the life preserver and then write your child's name or family name on the bottom half (i.e. SS TIMMY, SS SMITH, etc). (See photo.)
- Line the insides of the sails with glue. Sandwich the sails around the dowel and hold until the glue grabs.
- Glue the life preserver to the front of the margarine tub boat.
- Instead of filling with rice, cut a hole in the top and have child use as a coin bank!
- Always keep construction paper on hand for fun impromptu projects!