Martin Luther King Day Rainbow Pin
Age: 5 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. with this beading rainbow pin. Children will enjoy creating this craft which demonstrates that people of all colors are part of one family. Even more fun than making your pin is wearing it on Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
What you'll need:
- Three 5/8-inch wooden beads in three different finishes
- Black, brown and yellow yarn
- Six small wiggle eyes
- Three tiny pom-poms, two black and one white
- Red permanent marker
- White craft glue
How to make it:
- Cut six one-inch pieces of yarn from each of the three colors of yarn.
- Use one end of the toothpick to rub glue inside the hole in each of the three beads.
- Use the other end of the toothpick to push the ends of one of the colors of yarn into the hole of each bead for hair.
- Glue two wiggle eyes to the side of each bead, below the yarn hair.
- Glue a pom-pom to the side of each bead below the eyes for the nose.
- Use the red marker to draw a mouth on each bead below the nose.
- Glue the three beads together.
- Glue the pin-back to the back of the beads.
- Avoid sticking. If you do this project on a Styrofoam plate or tray you will not have trouble with glue or paint sticking to the surface as it dries.
- Make with younger children. If you are helping a younger child make this pin you might want to use slightly larger beads to make it easier to work on.