How to Perfectly Wrap a Gift
Measuring and Tying the Ribbon
By Chrissa Banner
Average User Rating:
Measure the Ribbon
Heed the thrifty carpenter's motto: measure twice, cut once! Before you cut your ribbon, first unwind the approximate length you'll need.
- Wrap the ribbon once around your box lengthwise.
- Continuing from that spot on the ribbon, wrap an additional amount width-wise.
- To allow for a bow, unwind from several inches to several feet more, depending on the size of the package.
- Use your finger to mark the total amount of ribbon you'll need.
Wrap the Ribbon Around the Box
Turn your wrapped package right-side-up and center the unwound length of ribbon across the top.
- Wrap the ribbon around the package lengthwise and twist it in the center underneath the box.
Tie It Up With a Bow
- Bring the ends back up around the sides of the box.
- Tie the ribbon once in the center, then tie a bow.
- Now you can cut!
Tip: Wire-edged ribbon allows you to create an elaborate bow that holds its shape.
For extra tips and photos of all of the steps described in our guide, view our gift wrapping slideshow.
More Christmas Fun