How to Perfectly Wrap a Gift
Measuring the Box
By Chrissa Banner
Average User Rating:
Measure the Width of the Box
- Place the wrapping paper face-down on the table and center your gift on it, bottom up.
- Bring the paper around the sides of the box: if the box is rectangular, you want this bottom seam of your wrapping to run along the length of the box.
- Mark the place where the paper overlaps itself by about an inch (more if you'd like a folded edge along this seam). Hold your finger on this spot or mark it with a pencil.
- Slide the box over to the marked spot and use its edge as a guide to cut the paper in a straight line. You may also use a yardstick or fold the paper, if you find it easier to work that way.
Tip: If your scissors are sharp enough, you can hold the paper and glide the scissors forward for a long, smooth cut with no jagged "cutting" marks.
Measure the Length of the Box
- Move the box toward the end of the paper, positioning it so you can fold the edge of the paper a little more than halfway up the end of the box.
- Holding the box in place, fold over the paper at the other end of the box. Mark the spot on the paper where this side also reaches a little more than halfway up the end of the box. Remove the box from the paper. Use your yardstick or fold the paper to mark the full length of the excess, then trim it away using your scissors.
Tape the Seam
- Wrap the paper back around the sides of the box so the edges meet at the bottom of the box, in the center.
- If you are working with one of the original edges of the paper, position it as the top layer for a crisp, straight line. If both edges are scissor-cut and you want a cleaner look, fold the top edge under about half an inch and crease.
- Secure the seam in the center with a small piece of tape.
Tip: For even more tailored wrapping, first tape the paper to the box itself, pull the paper taut, then tape the other side over it.
For extra tips and photos of all of the steps described in our guide, view our gift wrapping slideshow.
More Christmas Fun