Message in a Bottle Card
By: Claudine Casault
Age: 4 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Everyone loves unexpected surprises from people who love them. This Father's Day, Dad will be delighted when he discovers your special message inside this bottle-shaped card.
What you'll need:
- Colored design paper
- Cardstock (dark grey)
- Colored paper (light grey)
- White translucent paper
- 1/8” silver ribbon
- Silver ribbon (¼” wide)
- Stamp (first letter of Dad's name, or "D" for "Daddy" or "F" for "Father")
- Sculpting clay
- Beads (grey)
- Pencil and ruler
- Hot glue gun
- Glue stick
How to make it:
- Cut out a 8” W x 8” L shape from cardstock (dark grey).
- Cut out a 8” W x 8” L shape from design paper, glue on top of cardstock and fold in half.
- Cut out bottle pattern with scissors.
- Place bottle pattern on front of card and cut out bottle shape.
- Trace and cut out patterns for "neck label" and "body label" on dark grey card stock.
- Use "trim edge" pattern to cut out four (4) 1/8” W x 4” L strips of light grey paper and glue to top and bottom edge of labels.
- Position the completed "neck label" at the neck of the bottle (the skinniest width of the bottle) shape cut-out on inside of card. Make sure the side with the trim edge is face down, and then glue the label in place.
- Position the completed "body label" at the fullest width of the bottle shape cut-out on inside of card. Make sure the side with the trim edge is face down, and then glue the label in place.
- Cut out a 4” W x 8” L rectangle from white translucent paper and glue on inside of card, covering the backsides of the glued-on labels.
- Take a small piece of sculpting clay and roll into a ball. Using a flat surface, flatten the ball into a flat circle. Then using your chosen letter, stamp onto the sculpting clay to create a monogrammed seal, and then bake in oven for 15 min.
- Fold a piece of ¼” W x 3” L ribbon in half and hot glue to front of card above the "body label."
- Using a hot glue gun, affix the hardened stamped seal over center of folded ribbon and angle cut ribbon ends.
- Using 1/8” W x 2½” L ribbon strips, make two (2) small loops, glue one to front and one to back edge of card.
- Glue a bead on top of each loop.
- Glue a 1/8” W x 5” L strip of silver ribbon at center on inside of card. (See image.)
- Cut out a 4” W x 6” L piece of design paper and create a message.
- Roll up message paper and tie with ribbon on inside of card.
- You can substitute translucent paper for design paper
Claudine Casault is a craft developer living in Ontario, Canada.