Mini Cartoon Optical Illusion
Age: 5 and up
Amaze your friends by making your own mini-cartoon! This easy do-it-yourself toy craft creates an optical illusion that kids find fascinating.
What you'll need:
- A pen
- White or coloured paper
- Cardboard (Bristol board or cereal boxes are good)
- Crayons or markers
- Mathematical compass or jar lid to trace
How to make it:
- Trace a circle of cardboard with a diameter of about one and a half inches (anything goes as long as it's not to big—experiment!).
- Cut it out, and trace two paper circles the same size as the cardboard.
- Cut them out. On one circle, draw and colour a lightning bolt. On the other, draw a cloud. Color these.
- Glue one picture on each side of the cardboard circle.
- Punch two holes in the cardboard; one on each side.
- Thread a piece of string through each hole.
- Tie a knot in each piece of string to make two loops.
- Twirl the disk by first twirling the string. As you twirl, watch the lightning bolt and the cloud. Like magic, the lightning bolt will be coming from the cloud!