By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 5 and up
These adorable little sombreros make fun table decorations for your Cinco de Mayo celebration! Make one or several for south of the border fun.
What you'll need:
- Styrofoam or paper cup
- Mini paper plate
- 1" wide strip of brown felt
- 1/4" wide strip of red felt
- 1/4" wide strip of orange felt
- Acrylic paint in red and sunflower (tan/yellow)
- Medium pom-poms in red, green, yellow, orange, white and brown
- Paint brush
- Hot glue gun
How to make it:
- Paint paper plate and Styrofoam cup with sunflower paint. Let dry and repeat. Paint the outer edge of the plate rim red. Let dry completely.
- Hot glue the Styrofoam cup to the center of the paper plate to form your hat.
- Glue the brown felt around the bottom of the Styrofoam cup (the edge that is touching the plate) to make the hat band. Glue the red and orange felt over the brown to create stripes.
- Glue the pom-poms to the red edge of the paper plate, alternating colors as you go (green, white, red, yellow, brown, orange, green, white, etc.).
- If doing this craft in a group or classroom setting, break into two parts: painting one day, doing the remainder of the craft the next.
- If you don't have a color paint similar to tan or "sunflower" on hand, make your own by mixing a little brown into some yellow paint until it is the color you desire.
- Use any color of pom-pom you like. If you don't have all the colors listed here, simply use what you have on hand.