Parental supervision is recommended
Celebrate Kwanzaa in style with this colorful woven Mkeka mat craft. It's a good activity for one or for a group and the finished craft makes a meaningful keepsake.
What you'll need:
- Red ribbon (1/4" wide)
- Green ribbon (1/4" wide)
- Black ribbon (1/4" wide)
- Foam core sheet
- Thumb tacks
- Iron-on interfacing
- Fray Check or glue
How to make it:
- Determine the size of mat you wish to make.
- Cut the ribbons in each of the colors to the correct length.
- Place 1/2 of the ribbons in rows (face down) on the foam core board.
- Tack down the ends of the ribbons on the foam core board with tacks.
- Weave the other 1/2 of the ribbons (face down) across the tacked down ribbons.
- Cut a piece of interfacing to fit the back of the ribbons.
- Place the interfacing adhesive-side down on the ribbons.
- Iron the interfacing onto the ribbons.
- Remove the tacks from the ribbons. Trim the ribbons below the holes on the ribbon.
- Use the Fray Check or glue to seal the ends of the ribbons.
- Display with your Kwanzaa keepsakes.