Mommy's Plaster Plaque
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 7 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Plaster of Paris makes this wonderful plaque, a perfect gift for Mother's Day. With its vibrant flower and shiny jewels, what mom wouldn't fall in love with it?
What you'll need:
- Plaster of Paris
- 1 cup measure
- Disposable pie plate
- Cookie sheet
- Large red silk flower
- Small colorful craft jewels
How to make it:
- Place pie plate on cookie sheet. Keep the pie plate on the cookie sheet during the entire project as it will make it easier to move at the end.
- Mix together the plaster of Paris according to the manufacturer's instructions on the package. (Approximately 1 cup of plaster of Paris with ½ cup tepid water in a bowl.) Stir with spoon until completely mixed. Pour plaster mixture into pie plate. (See photo.)
- Place the silk flower into the wet plaster wherever you like. We placed ours off to the side. (See photo.)
- Carefully place the craft jewels, one by one, onto the wet plaster. The easiest way to do this is to have a moist sponge or towel sitting next to you, and then touch your finger onto the towel then onto the top of the craft jewel. The jewel will temporarily stick to your finger allowing you to place it in the plaster. (See photo.)
- Don't worry if some sink or don't get placed correctly. Simply use a toothpick to push the jewel down or into place.
- Carefully place the cookie sheet with the plaster creation in a safe place to dry overnight.
- The next morning you can pop your plaster creation out of it pie plate mold. Place it on a cooling rack to allow it to dry completely. Allow a solid 24-48 hours of dry time.
- You may want to have kids wear gloves while doing this craft so they do not touch the plaster with their skin.
- The small jewels can be too difficult for little ones. However, if you allow the plaster to dry partially, and use slightly bigger jewels, it will be easier for them to manipulate (with your help).
- Plaster of Paris is available from craft supply and home improvement stores.
- Craft jewels can be purchased in bulk or in small quantities and come in a variety of colors and shapes.