Bubble Paper Mother's Day Card
By: Bonnie Schiedel
Age: 5 and up
Everyone loves bubbles! Use pretty colored bubbles to create a unique, softly tinted paper for this Mother's Day card.
What you'll need:
For bubble paper
- White cardstock cut to 5" x 4 ½"
- Shallow pan, such as 9" x 13" casserole dish
- Dish soap
- Food coloring
- Wire baking rack (optional)
For the card
- Pink cardstock, about 5 ½" x 10"
- 3 scraps of patterned paper, about 3" square; or ink and stamps
- Adhesive such as double-sided sticky tape, glue stick, liquid glue or mini glue dots
- Paper trimmer
How to make it:
- Put a small amount of dish soap and a few drops of food coloring into the shallow pan. Add about an inch of water.
- Use the straw to blow bubbles until the pan is covered with a fairly even layer of bubbles.
- Hold the white cardstock by the edges and gently press it against the bubbles. The bubbles will pop, leaving a colored design behind. Repeat until you get the design you want.
- Place the cardstock on the baking rack to dry.
- Trace, stamp or print off two letter "M"s and a heart. Use your scissors to cut them out. The Ms should be about 3 inches high and 2 1/2" wide and the heart should be about 1".
- Glue the "M"s onto the bubble paper. Glue the heart in between, overlapping each "M" slightly.
- Glue the bubble paper to the pink cardstock.
- Write, stamp or glue your Mother's Day greeting inside.
- To get an even layer of bubbles, use the straw in a zig-zag pattern, going from left to right to left while blowing.
- If the cardstock has curled up a bit once it's dry, place under a heavy book for a few hours to flatten.
- For a multicolor look, allow the bubble paper to dry, then repeat using another color of bubbles.
- Don't use regular printer paper for the bubble paper, as it absorbs the bubble liquid and gets floppy.
- White cardstock seems show off the bubbles the best. If you're using pastel cardstock, you'll probably need to use more food coloring to intensify the color of the bubbles.
- If you're pressed for time, just use a patterned paper instead of bubble paper.
- Keep mom's interets in mind. Try replacing the "O" with a large round flower sticker or hockey puck cutout instead of a heart.
- Choose mom's favorite colors!