Funky Stripes Mother’s Day card
By: Bonnie Schiedel
Age: 6 and up
When you're a mom, you realize just how special your own mother is! Wish her a happy Mother's Day with this vibrant striped card that lists your personalized list of some of her best qualities.
What you'll need:
- Pink cardstock cut to 8" x 8 1/2"
- Patterned paper, about 4" x 6"
- One 8 ½" x 11 piece of yellow cardstock (or, 5 strips of yellow cardstock about 4" x 1")
- Stamps and ink, marker, or computer and printer
- Adhesive such as double-sided sticky tape, glue stick, liquid glue or mini glue dots
- Paper trimmer
How to make it:
- Fold pink cardstock in half.
- Use your computer to print a list of your mom's qualities or favorite activities onto the yellow cardstock. Or, you can stamp or hand-write the words onto the cardstock. Leave lots of room around each word or phrase. Cut the text into strips about 4" by 1", using a variety of angles.
- Cut the patterned paper into 5 strips, also about 4" by 1", using a variety of angles.
- Arrange the strips on the pink cardstock, alternating the patterned paper strips with the text strips. Play around until you get a pleasing pattern. Don't worry about making precise measurements or having everything line up at right angles. Leave about 1/12th inch of space between each strip. When the arrangement looks right, glue the strips to the pink cardstock.
- Use scissors or a corner rounding punch to round the edges of the card.
- Write, stamp or glue your Mother's Day greeting inside.
- If you're using the computer to print the text, do a test run with regular paper to make sure your sizing is correct. Use a font size of about 24 or higher for greater readability.
- Choose a patterned paper with a design that can be used upside down or right side up (for example, no flowers with stems that have to point down).
- Make sure to choose Mom's favorite colors!