By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 5 and up
Celebrate your favorite sporting event by cheering on athletes with this festive multi-colored homemade streamer. Use the Olympic colors as we have, or decorate yours with your favorite team’s colors.
For more great crafts, printables, and activities, visit our page devoted to honoring the Olympics.
What you'll need:
- 12” dowel
- Crepe paper streamers in red, green, white, blue, yellow
- Black acrylic paint
- White craft glue
How to make it:
- Paint the dowel with black paint and set aside to dry.
- Cut a 12” length of each color streamer.
- Fold each 12” piece in half and cut into three strips. Repeat for each streamer color.
- Gather folded strips of crepe paper streamers at the center folds and place in pattern by alternating colors (red, blue, yellow, white, green, red, blue, yellow, etc).
- Separate folded and gathered strips into two separate piles.
- Staple the folded ends together; you should have two sets of pom-pom-type strips.
- Tape the two sets of streamers to one end of the dowel.
- Cut another piece of white crepe paper streamer, about 12” long, and twist it up, then wrap it around the tape on the dowel. Wrap it fairly tight and secure with white glue. Allow to dry.
- For smaller children cut the streamers in half instead of thirds.
- Change streamer colors to match your team colors. For USA do red, white and blue, for China use red and yellow, etc.
- You can use tissue paper in place of streamers.