Neck Tie Card
Parental supervision is recommended
This neck tie card makes a fun gift for Father's Day. The secret message hidden under the tie is a yet another fun element for creative kids.
What you'll need:
- Piece of cardboard (you can use a panel from an old cereal box)
- White paper
- Construction paper for the tie
- Markers or crayons
How to make it:
- Cut a piece of the cardboard five inches wide by eight inches long.
- Put the piece of cardboard in the middle of the piece of white paper. (Your paper will be horizontal with the longest sides as the top and bottom. Your cardboard will be vertical and the short sides will be the top and bottom. )
- Fold the paper over so that the white paper totally covers the cardboard and glue it.
- Get another piece of white paper and cut two squares that are two inches long by two inches tall. Fold in half to make 2 triangles. These will be your collar. Open them to be squares again, and glue 1/2 of them to the back of the card so that when you fold them over the triangles form a collar. There will be a slight overlap in the center. Do not put any glue on the front part (yet).
- Cut a square that is about two inches by two inches out of the construction paper. Fold it in half to make a rectangle. This will go under the collar to make the "knot" part of the tie. Do not glue it just yet!
- Cut a rectangle about seven inches long and three inches wide. Fold the bottom two corners up to make a point on your tie. Mark the top of the rectangle into 3 equal part (1 inch each) and draw a line from those marks to the lower corners to make a tie shape. Trim off all the extra.
- Write a message on the bottom section of the tie like "Who is the greatest dad in the whole world?" and decorate the tie and knot if you want to with your markers or crayons.
- Put your "tie" together by sliding the hanging part under the knot part and gluing it. Position the tie at the top of the card and glue it in place at the 'knot'. Do not glue the bottom part of the tie to the card. You need to leave that part unglued so that it can be lifted up to reveal the "hidden message!"
- Fold the collar down. Now add a line of glue under the collar at the very top of the card to hold the collar down over the tie.
- Now lift the bottom of the tie and write the answer to your question. ("You are!") Make sure this saying is covered by the tie. Don't forget to write "I love you" and your name.
- Now is the time to use your markers to decorate the shirt. Lift the tie and draw a straight line down the middle for the front of the shirt and add your buttons. You can use markers or cut the "buttons" from construction paper.
- You can cut another piece of cardboard to make the card stand up, if you would like. Cut a rectangle about five inches long by two inches wide. Fold one end about one-half inch from the end and glue the bent section to the card so that it can stand when it dries.