New Year Crown
By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 5 and up
Any kid can be the king or queen of the family New Year's Eve party with this bead encrusted crown. Talk about celebrating the New Year in style!
What you'll need:
- Yellow and white craft foam
- White craft glue
- Seed beads
- Small colorful beads
- Pieces of self adhesive hook-and-loop fasteners
How to make it:
- Use a cookie sheet with sides to work on so that the beads do not fall all over the floor.
- Cut a crown out of yellow craft foam using the pattern. Cut two 12- by 1-inch strips of white craft foam. Glue the white strips to the bottom edge of the yellow crown. Let dry. (See photo.)
- Lift crown and place on child's head to get a measurement for the headband. Trim where needed then attach a piece or two of hook-and-loop fastener that will hold headband in place.
- Lay the crown face up and write "Happy New Year" with the white craft glue. (See photo.)
- Cover the glue words with seed beads. Cover all the glue completely and very gently press down. Wait a few minutes before lifting the crown and letting the excess beads fall off. (See photo.)
- Decorate the rest of the crown and the headband using sequins and small colorful beads. Let dry completely, this could take several hours. (See photo.)
- You can use craft jewels, glitter glue, and feathers as other options for decorating the crown.
- Recycled cardboard from cereal boxes will make a great alternative to craft foam for this project.