By: Mia Cronan
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 3 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Here’s a costume that is easy to make and very inexpensive. Plus, your little ninja has a nifty black sweat suit to wear after Halloween is over! A scrap of fabric for a belt, and a toy sword complete the look.
Discover more easy ideas for outfits -- from spooky to sweet -- in our homemade Halloween costume gallery.
What you'll need:
- Plain black sweatpants
- Plain black sweatshirt
- Long black socks
- Plain black t-shirt
- Black shoes
- Red fabric scrap for sash
- Toy sword (store bought, or crafted with cardboard and tin foil)
How to make it:
- Dress your ninja warrior in the black sweatpants, sweatshirt, and socks, with the pants tucked into the top of the socks.
- Using the red fabric, wrap it around your child’s waist, and secure in the back with a pin (see image).
- Using the black t-shirt, begin the process of putting it on, but stop when your ninja’s little face is peeking through. Leave the front of the shirt over his mouth, and the back collar coming down over his forehead. Tie the two sleeves gently and not too tightly behind his head (see image).
- Arrange the rest of the shirt over his shoulders somewhat loosely.
- If the red "sash" is long enough, you may want to tie it in front and to the side a bit, then let the long pieces hang down a bit.
- To add some fun and drama, you could use black eyeliner to create markings on your ninja’s face.
- Store-bought swords are easy to find, but one can be made easily from a strip of cardboard covered with tin foil.
Mia Cronan is a craft freelancer and mother of five based in Ohio.