Oil and Food Coloring Marbled Eggs
By: Amanda Formaro
Parental supervision is recommended
Simple food coloring dye technique with a twist - adding oil for marble looking eggs. This egg decorating idea requires no special materials except a child's imagination!
What you'll need:
- Eggs (hard boiled or raw)
- Food coloring
- Cooking oil
- Containers for the dye mixture (mugs will work)
- Paper towels
- A few spoons
How to make it:
- In each container combine one tablespoon of each of the following: oil, vinegar, and your choice of food coloring.
- Add enough water to make the liquid deep enough to cover an egg.
- Swirl the liquid with a spoon, and quickly lower and raise an egg into it.
- Pat dry with a paper towel, and repeat with a second color.
- Swirl into a third color, if desired. Some white areas can be left on the egg.
- Gently pat dry the completed egg, leaving a bit of the oil to give the egg a varnished look.
- This craft requires no special materials and produces beautiful results with very little effort. The eggs can be blown when completed, but the project is so simple that you might just discard the eggs and make a fresh batch each year.