Orange Spice Potpourri
Difficulty: Very Easy
Breathe easy with this pleasantly scented Orange spice potpourri craft. It's an economical way to create many small Christmas gifts that let people know you're thinking of them. (i.e. mail carrier, hairdresser)
What you'll need:
- 1 pound Orange peel (Dime Size)
- 1/2 pound Lemon peel (Dime Size)
- 1 pound Whole Star Anise
- 1 pound Small Cinnamon Sticks (1 inch)
- 1 pound Whole Allspice
- 1 pound Whole Cloves
- 4 ounces Fixative Orris root, Cellulose Fixative
- 1-2 ounce bottle with dropper of Orange, Cinnamon, or Christmas Oils.
How to make it:
- If making a small amount, use a jar. If making a larger amount, use something that you don't mind having the aroma in forever. When I make it I use a plastic shoe box container. When finished I can put my craft supplies in it and whenever I open it I get the most wonderful aroma.
- Mix together all ingredients except the oil. After mixing, add the oil by dropping it onto the potpourri. Trying to get as much as possible of the oil on the fixative. Continue to mix as you drop the oil into the potpourri. Use 1/2 of the oil. Check the aroma by smelling 2 or 3 days later; you can always decide to add more oil.
- Let the potpourri sit for 2 to 3 weeks in a cool dark spot. Stirring every couple days. When finished bag up and label. I use Ziploc snack bags and make labels using address labels on my computer.
Remember you can make as little or as much as you want with the recipe above -- just add and adjust to your liking. Good Luck.
This would make a nice gift for your teacher, school nurse, librarian, or others at your school.