Pamper mom: Luxury in lace
By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 4 and up
Give mom the gift of pampering herself with this gorgeous container filled with bath salts. A perfect Mother’s Day craft or spring craft, kids will love creating this gorgeous container as a gift.
What you'll need:
- Glass jar with lid
- Spool of lace
- Decorative charm
- Hot glue gun
- Scrap of cardstock or construction paper
- Hole punch
- Gold ribbon
- Bath salts, bath beads or fragrant body talc
How to make it:
- This project calls for use of a hot glue gun. Parents should always handle hot glue themselves, or supervise closely for older children.
- Wrap enough lace around the jar to touch one end to the other, just below the rim. Trim lace then glue in place. Only one layer of lace is necessary on the jar itself, the rest of the decorating will be on the lid.
- Wrap enough lace around the outer edge of the jar lid to measure how much you will need and cut. Glue lace in place with hot glue.
- Repeat this step on the lid, overlapping each layer as you move up. Once in the center of the lid, glue enough lace in place to cover center spot. It doesn’t matter how the center looks as you will be covering it with a charm.
- Glue the decorative charm on the top of the lid, right in the center.
- If you like, you can use the hot glue gun to tack unruly pieces of lace in place wherever they may be sticking up.
- Tie a piece of gold ribbon around the jar’s rim, just above the piece of lace you glued in place earlier.
- Cut a piece of construction paper or card stock and fold in half to make a small gift tag. Use a crayon to have child write “To: Mom” and draw a heart. Or, create your own message.
- Use hole punch in the upper left corner of the card.
- Insert gold ribbon into hole in card and tie in place, tie a bow for decoration if you desire.
- Fill jar with bath salts, bath beads or fragrant body talc for a pretty pampering gift!
- For older children, change the crayon to a fine tip marker or craft pen, have them write their message in cursive.
- Instead of a decorative charm, use a large colorful button threaded with pretty ribbon tied in a tiny bow.
- White craft glue can be used in this project, though hot glue adheres much faster. If you plan to use white craft glue, be sure to allow for longer dry times. You may also need to hold lace in place in spots so that it doesn’t slide out of place.