Paper Bag Fireplace
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 7 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
This adorable craft will make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The best part is you can take this portable fireplace wherever you may go.
What you'll need:
- Brown paper lunch bag
- Reddish brown crayon
- Black marker
- Construction paper: black, red, yellow, and orange
- 1 plastic grocery bag or newspaper
- White craft glue
- Tape or stapler
How to make it:
- Lay lunch bag on the table and color it with the reddish brown crayon. You only need to color the front; but you may also color the sides if you like.
- Use a black marker to draw horizontal lines, about ½” apart, starting at the bottom of the bag and going all the way up.
- Next, use the black marker to draw in vertical lines in the first row, about an inch apart. Move up to the next row and draw more vertical lines, however this time offset the lines with the first set to create a brick pattern. Continue the pattern up to the top of the bag.
- Use patterns to cut out the hearth from black construction paper and the flames from the red, yellow, and orange construction paper.
- Break or buy twigs small enough that they are not longer than the bottom of the hearth.
- Glue the red flames to the black hearth, lining up the bottom of the hearth with the bottom of the flames.
- Glue the orange flames to the red flames.
- Glue the yellow flames to the orange flames.
- Glue the twigs to the bottom of the flames. Allow the hearth to dry for approximately 20-30 minutes.
- When dry, glue the hearth and flames to the front of the bag, lining up the bottom of the hearth and the bottom of the bag.
- Ball up the plastic grocery bag and put it inside the paper bag. Roll the top of the bag and either tape or staple shut.
- To easily color the sides of the bag, carefully put something inside the bag, such as a snack box, that will serve as a work surface to color on.
- You can skip the coloring step, or if you prefer you can even paint the bag.
- This makes a nice fireplace for your Barbie dolls!