Paper Bag Gingerbread Friends
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 5 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
These cute little gingerbread boys and girls are fun to decorate and adorable to display!
What you'll need:
- Brown paper grocery bag
- Gingerbread girl and boy cookie cutters
- Acrylic paint: white, red, pink, purple, orange, green, light blue, black
How to make it:
- Cut a 7” wide strip the length of the paper grocery bag.
- Decide which side you want to be the front and turn over so that the back is facing up.
- Place gingerbread boy cookie cutter at the left side of the paper strip. Use pencil to trace the outline of the cookie cutter.
- Place gingerbread girl cookie cutter just to the right of the tracing of the boy gingerbread and trace with pencil.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you run out of room on the paper.
- Use scissors to cut the outlines of the gingerbread people out, keeping them connected. Do not cut the gingerbread people out separately. If need be, cut around your tracing marks rather than on them to give yourself “padding” which will make up for any gaps between the tracings.
- Turn paper over so that your pencil marks are now facing down. Decorate gingerbread with acrylic paints. Dot buttons on by dipping the handle end of the paintbrush into the paint and then onto your paper.
- Use thin paintbrush to add the “rick-rack” squiggles with white paint around wrists, ankles, and skirts.
- Use a thin paintbrush or black marker to add smiles them dot on pink for cheeks with handle end of paintbrush.
- Dot on eyes with black or dark brown and paint on red bowties for the boys.
- Craft paper will work in place of a brown paper grocery bag. You can also use brown construction paper.
- Cut individual gingerbreads to glue to cards and packages.
- Glue some yarn to the back and hang as garland on your mantle or tree.