Paper Plate Menorah
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 5 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Celebrate Hanukkah by making this adorable little menorah from a paper plate and craft sticks. Easy to make and great to look at!
What you'll need:
- Miniature paper plate
- 9 miniature craft sticks
- 1 jumbo craft stick
- Handful of cotton balls
- Yellow and orange tissue paper
- Silver acrylic paint
- Gold glitter glue
Hot glue gun or white craft glue
How to make it:
- Cut the paper plate in half. Paint outside of plate, both pieces, with silver paint. Let dry and repeat for a second coat. Let dry completely.
- Paint miniature craft sticks white and jumbo craft stick silver. Repeat for a second coat and let dry. Brush all craft sticks with a coat of gold glitter glue over the paint once it is dry.
- Turn one of the plate halves over, silver side down. Glue one of the white craft sticks at the straight side, in the center. Craft stick should be sticking out, only a small portion should be glued to the plate. Glue the remaining craft sticks slightly lower than the center one, four on each side. Let glue dry.
- Use hot glue gun to glue the jumbo craft stick in the center of the rounded end of one of the plates, this will be the menorah’s stand. Hot glue the bottom of the round ends of the two plates together. Stuff with cotton balls then glue plate closed on all sides.
- Cut yellow tissue paper into nine 1.5” squares. Cut orange tissue paper into nine 1” squares. Take one yellow square and place an orange square in its center. Place the handle end of a paint brush into the center and twist the two colored papers around the handle to form the flame. Glue flames to the ends of the white craft sticks.
- Use gold glitter glue to draw on the candle holders of the menorah, use the photo as a guide. Let the glitter glue dry for several hours. Once glitter glue goes flat it is dry.
- Insert the jumbo craft stick on your menorah into a piece of floral foam or an upside down Styrofoam cup to display.
- Miniature paper plates are available at most grocers.
- The center candle in a menorah should be higher than all the others, all others should be of equal height.
More Holiday Fun