Paper Plate Sun
By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 4 and up
Sunshine just screams summer! Kids can bring some sunny rays into your own home, day or night, by making this easy craft.
What you'll need:
- Paper plate
- Yellow, orange and pink craft paint
- 1 sheet yellow construction paper
- 1 sheet orange construction paper
- Glue stick
- 2 large wiggle eyes
- Black marker
- 1 small round sponge applicator
- 1 large round sponge applicator
- White craft glue
How to make it:
- Paint the paper plate yellow and let dry. (See photo.)
- Fold yellow paper in half, the in half again in the other direction. Using the larger triangle in the pattern sheet, trace around the triangle onto the yellow paper. You should be able to fit two triangles onto the folded sheet. Cut the triangles out, you should have eight. (See photo.)
- Fold orange paper in half, the in half again in the other direction. Using the smaller triangle in the pattern sheet, trace around the triangle onto the orange paper. You should be able to fit two triangles next to each other, and if you turn the paper 180 degrees, you can fit another triangle between the first two. Cut the triangles out, you should have 12.
- Use glue stick to add the triangles to the back of the painted paper plate. Keep the ends of the triangles about ½" from the rimmed line of the plate. Overlap the triangles as you go. (See photo.)
- Turn the plate over and glue on the wiggle eyes and draw on a mouth and eyebrows.
- Dip the small round applicator into orange paint and dot on a nose. Use the large round applicator dipped in pink paint for the cheeks. (See photo.)
- Sponge applicators are available at craft supply stores.
- Add a magnet to the back to hang on the fridge.
- Glue a loop of yarn on the back as a hanger.