Parent and Child T-Shirts
Parental supervision is recommended
Create a special bond with these parent and child T-shirts. Parents and kids alike will enjoy crafting and wearing these matching T-shirts. Great gifts for Mother's Day or Father's Day.
What you'll need:
- T-shirts in appropriate sizes for both parent and child
- Crayons or markers for child to draw picture with
- White paper
- Local photocopy center (see tips for alternative method)
- Fabric paint in colors to match child's picture
- Straight pins
How to make it:
- Have your child draw a picture, any size, of anything he or she wishes to draw for his or her parent.
- Go to your local photocopy center and enlarge or minimize the child's drawing so it will fit on a parent's shirt and also for the size of your child's shirt. By making a matching shirt for your child, you can surprise them too.
- After copying your child's picture, draw around (using heavy pressure) the general outline of the copied picture on the back side (use a window if needed to see through the paper), sized for the father, with a pencil.
- Put the picture face down on the parent's shirt.
- Color the entire back of the picture with a pencil while it is still
in place on the shirt. You may want to pin the picture to the shirt so it
doesn't move around while you are coloring.
- Unpin the picture from the shirt. You should have a lightly transferred
copy of your child's picture on the parent's shirt in pencil.
- Use fabric paint and paint in the picture on the parent's shirt using
the same colors your child used.
- After copying your child's picture, draw around the general outline
of the copied picture, sized for the child, with a pencil.
- Put the picture face down on the child's shirt.
- Transfer and paint the shirt just like you did on the parent's shirt.
- Wrap up the two shirts and have your child present it to his or her parent. Your child can even make his or her own wrapping paper.
You can use a printer, scanner, and t-shirt transfers to create the shirts. I think it looks more "child-like" when done with paints. If you still want it to look "child-like", you could use the t-shirt transfer just to transfer the "lines" onto the shirt to make it easier to paint.