Pasta Christmas Elf
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 9 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
This is a great pasta Christmas elf project for older kids as they can use the glue gun (with supervision) to assemble all the small parts.
What you'll need:
- 1 jumbo shell (head)
- 1 manicotti pasta (body)
- 6 ziti pasta (arms and legs)
- 4 elbow macaroni (hands and feet)
- Acrylic paint: flesh, green, red, white, pink, black
- 2 small wiggle eyes
- 1 mini pink pompom
- 1 small glittery white pompom
- 2 small glittery green pompoms
- 1 sheet white felt
- 8” green yarn
- Hot glue gun
- White craft glue (step 9 only)
How to make it:
- Paint the manicotti, four pieces of the ziti, and two elbow macaroni with green paint.
- Paint the jumbo shell and the other two elbow macaroni with flesh colored paint.
- Paint the remaining two pieces of ziti white (see image).
- When the white ziti pieces are dry, paint red stripes on them and let them dry--these are the socks (see image).
- Paint the top 1/3 of the jumbo shell with green paint to make the hat (see image).
- Hot glue the head into one end of the manicotti body.
- Cut a thin strip of white felt and glue it around the border of the hat line, where flesh paint meets green.
- Glue the white glitter pom-pom to the top of the hat.
- Glue on two wiggle eyes (use white craft glue for this step) and the mini pink pom-pom for the nose.
- Dip a small paintbrush into pink paint and dab off most of the excess, your paintbrush should be fairly dry. Dab the dry pink paint on as cheeks (see image).
- Cut two strips of white felt and glue around the top and bottom of the manicotti shell.
- Glue two green pompoms onto the front of the manicotti shell.
- Glue two of the green ziti just inside the bottom of the manicotti shell for the legs.
- Glue the striped ziti socks onto the green legs (see image).
- Glue green elbow macaroni to the striped socks.
- Glue the two remaining green ziti to the sides of the manicotti body and then glue the flesh colored elbow macaroni on as hands.
- Use a toothpick dipped in black paint to add a smile and eyebrows.
- Glue a looped and knotted piece of yarn inside the back of the jumbo shell head.
- This is a very delicate project and could prove frustrating for smaller children. To include them, use felt for the arms and legs instead of the smaller pieces of pasta.
- Always supervise children with hot glue. If hot glue gets on skin, remove it as quickly as possible to avoid burns.
- If you prefer to use white glue, assemble the limbs separately where they can lay flat to dry. Attach them to the body afterward.