Patriotic Star Wand
By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 7 and up
Your kids will love decorating and creating this fun wand for the 4th of July. It's a fun and safe way for kids to add some dazzle to the holiday.
What you'll need:
- 12" wooden dowel
- White yarn
- White craft glue
- White craft foam
- Red, white and blue glitter glue
- 5 paper clips
- 5 scraps of felt or paper towels
- Paper plate
- Small paintbrush
How to make it:
- Cover the dowel in white glue; spread it evenly with your fingers. You want a fairly heavy coat, but you don't want it dripping. Wrap the white yarn around the dowel and spiral all the way down to the end. Rest the wrapped dowel on a paper plate to dry. (See photo.)
- Using the pattern, cut out 2 stars from white craft foam. (See photo.)
- When dowel is dry, trim the ends of the yarn. Line the stars with white glue, then sandwich one end of the dowel in between the two foam stars. (See photo.)
- Place a scrap of felt or paper towel over each of the star's points, securing with paper clips. This will hold the star closed so it can dry.
- Stand the star wand up, star end pointing down and insert a generous amount of white glue. Let dry completely.
- When everything is dry, use a small paintbrush to add red glitter glue to the yarn. Use a paintbrush to add white glitter glue to the dowel between the yarn spirals. (See photo.)
- Decorate the star using blue and red glitter glue. (See photo.)
- Place star wand in a safe place over night to dry.
- Glitter glue is available from discount department stores and craft supply stores.
- Craft foam is available in sheets in craft supply stores as well as discount department stores.
- This project requires quite a bit of drying time, so be sure to plan accordingly.